Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Movies I remember

I must say, I am a movie freak. I love watching movies. But my problem is that I forget most movies within a few months of watching them. I can never remember the dialogs and many times I forget the supporting characters and the subplots, in some cases, I even forget the endings of the movies. But that's not the case with all movies, so here I want to mention my list of ten movies that I like to or would like to watch multiple times. It is just a list, I have not ranked the movies. I would love to hear what others think about those movies.
1. I think one of the funniest movie I have watched in my life is 'Andaz Apna Apna', and guess what, I even remember some of the dialogs from the movie. The effortless acting of Aamir Khan, the dialogs and the situational comedy in the movie are exceptional. And the funniest scene in my opinion is when Aamir Khan and Salman Khan go on a moped to give the ransom money to Paresh Rawal. The entire sequence is just perfect.
2. Another funny movie that I love watching is 'Pink Panther' starring Steve Martin. I think Steve Martin is a genius. He has perfected the comedy genre. There are very few actors who can do comedy as good as him, and perhaps there is no one who can do it better than him. He is a sheer pleasure to watch. So I can watch Pink Panther multiple times just to watch Steve Martin play the French inspector Jacques Clouseau. Some other movies by Steve Martin that I have loved: Housesitter, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Father of the bride.
3. My favourite animation movie 'Ice Age'. It is one of the best animation movies ever made. It has humor, it has emotions, and it looks brilliant. The characters are so well defined. This movie is a great experience. A watch for everybody.
4. Since I am a passionate dog and cat lover, I love watching movies on dogs and cats. My favourite canine movie character is Beethoven, the huge Saint Bernard. I have watched 'Beethoven's second' numerous times. It has Beethoven falling in love with another cute Saint Bernard named 'Missy' and then Missy giving birth to a litter. I love the movie because it has so many dogs of various sizes :) and it has a beautiful song "The day I fall in love". When I watched it for the first time, I was in my teens and the song seemed to exactly describe the way I thought the day I fall in love would be and I had this fantasy that the day I fall in love, this song will be playing in the background. Well, that was just a teenage fantasy and I am over it now. Other doggy movies I love watching are 'Turner and Hooch" (Hooch is one of the ugliest and most lovable dogs), and Homeward bound. Another movie I want to mention here is 'Hachiko' in which Hachiko, a dog, waits at a train station for his master even after his master's demise, for 10 years till he himself dies. It is based on a real story. The movie moved me so much that for few days, I could think of nothing else but the dog and his love for his master. No one should die, at least not the people who have someone waiting for them.
5. A movie that inspires me every time I watch it is 'Forest Gump', starring Tom Hanks. The humor is very good, but what I love about the movie is the honesty and sincerity of Forest Gump. Nothing he did was half hearted. He did everything in his life with utmost honesty and sincerity, be it falling in love, playing pingpong, fighting in a battlefield, keeping a promise to a dying friend or fishing for shrimps, and the best thing is that he succeeded in almost everything. No one could have been a better Forest Gump than Tom Hanks. Another must watch movie for everybody.
6. I would say the most beautiful movie I have ever watched is 'Life is Beautiful' by Roberto Benigni. I feel, it is one of the best movies ever made. It is a movie about love, courage and optimism. It is a story about a man, who was equally true and devoted to all his different roles in life, as a human being, as a husband and as a father. The last scene of the movie where his son says that his father gave him the gift of life, there couldn't have been a better summary for the movie. An unforgettable movie.
7. I am a die hard romantic and I love watching romantic movies. One of my favourite romantic movies is 'Pretty Woman'. It is a fairytale romance, a rich man and a poor girl falling in love. Similar stories have been made into movies time and again. But what makes this movie so beautiful is the lead pair, gorgeous Julia Roberts and handsome Richard Gere. No one can help falling in love with both of them after watching this movie. Their acting, their expressions, their dialog delivery, all make the movie such a pleasure to watch. All die hard romantics, I hope you have watched this movie.
8. A movie which made all teenagers (at least females) skip their heart beat is 'Titanic'. I still remember the day I watched the movie. I was a teenager and it felt as if Jack Dawson is the ultimate lover. While watching the movie, I fell in love with him, I was jealous of Kate Winslet, I was anxious to save him from drowning with the ship, I cried on his death, I went through all the emotions portrayed in the movie. For a young girl, it was an wonderful experience.
I have watched Titanic only once, but I included it in this list because this is a movie I want to watch again. But I stop myself because I know the spell will be broken. I want to remember the movie as I had watched it the first time.
9. When I am talking about romantic movies, I have to mention Shah Rukh Khan, my all time favourite actor. I have watched almost all his movies more than once, but the one SRK movie that I have watched most number of times is 'Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa'. The simple love story of a simpleton, a good hearted guy gives you the feel good factor, an welcome distraction from the everyday mundane life and its frustrations. Sunil (SRK's character in the movie), makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you want to reach out to him and console him and at the end of the movie, makes you happy. Another such movie, though not as good, but makes me smile is 'Ishq Vishq', a teenage love story. After a long day at work, this movie helps me unwind and relax.
10. And lastly, I want to mention a movie I watched yesterday night, 'Twilight', but I am sure I am going to watch it again and again. I watched it on my laptop, but I wish I had watched it in a theater. I am sure that would have been a great experience, because I loved the movie even on the small screen of my laptop. It is again a love story, but between a human and a vampire, a breathtakingly beautiful vampire :). I am sure every teenage girl wanted to fall in love with a vampire after watching this movie :). It is a fantasy, something that is very far away from reality, but still, what every female will wish to have after watching the movie, is a strong, protective and beautiful boyfriend like Edward Cullen, who is always there when his girl needs him. Since I am not that teenage girl anymore and happily married, that is not my wish. What struck me in the movie is Robert Pattinson's acting talent. He blended into the character so well and has made the vampire so real, so lovable. I cannot think of him as a human being anymore :). Very well made and well acted movie, I must say.
You won't see any horror movies in my list, I hate them. Thrillers, yes, I do like some, The Departed, The Godfather, The silence of the lambs, etc. But mostly I like reading thrillers and suspense novels, rather than watching. It gives me time to think and have my own interpretations. Well, I will talk about books some other day.
So here is my list of movies I remember and wish to watch again. Let me know what you all think about these movies and may be you can suggest me some of your favourite movies too.

No comments:

Post a Comment